[squeak-dev] Small commits are [bad|good] (was: The Trunk: EToys-mt.368.mcz)

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 20:47:31 UTC 2019

> So it turns out that good versioning tools do not need to be slow
> and resource hungry. I guess it also shows that a small amount of
> brilliant design goes a long way when it comes to performance.

Nonsense.  You haven't magically escaped the laws of software physics.  You
were using github, which is run in a datacenter, right?  Dump enough into
your git repository, and your use-cases will eventually start to slow down
in performance.

I am curious how you're "using git" though because when I accessed a git
project through Squeak, it was NOT fast, and it created a gigantic
directory tree in my squeak directory which also slowed down my daily
backup job tremendously.  The directory names were hugely long and it was
problematic.

This is why I won't start actively using git until I can make a transparent
MCGitRepository via their v4 API (GraphQL).  I haven't looked at the Schema
yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it, alone, is larger than the entire
_implementation_ code of Monticello.  I'd say Avi's was a brilliant design,
for sure.

 - Chris