[squeak-dev] browseMcMethodRevisions Request-URI Too Large

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Mon Oct 7 21:40:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Hi All,
> when trying to browse revisions for some long methods (some VMMaker methods are long) this often lead to failure Notifier.
>
> Indeed, it seems like {self serializeForRequest: aMCDefinition} is serializing the whole method source...
>
> You might want to try with SistaRegisterAllocatingCogit>>genSpecialSelectorComparison
>
> Whole reply is:
>
> HTTP/1.1 414 Request-URI Too Large
> server: nginx/1.16.0
> date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 20:55:41 GMT
> content-type: text/html
> content-length: 177
> connection: close

> <center><h1>414 Request-URI Too Large</h1></center>
>
> Is this (URI length) something we can tune at server side?

Yes, it could be tuned, but that wouldn't solve the problem. URIs should
not be arbitrarily long.
The proper solution would be to make the server expect POST requests with
the content sent in the request body, and the image sending matching POST
requests instead of GET request.

Btw, we had a discussion about this issue, but nothing happened since
then.

Levente