[squeak-dev] MethodFinder.Blocks

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Oct 13 23:27:03 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I just got irritated as I evaluated

MethodFinder methodFor: {{#(1 2). #even}. #(1)}

and got no hit.

This is because the MethodFinder stores an extra list of selector parameters that are assumed to require a block argument (Blocks) -- but nowadays this requirement is not given, as you can pass a Symbol, MessageSend, SortFunction or whatsoever, thanks to polymorphy. So (how) is this block check still relevant? If I remove it, I get the right hit and can do thinks like

MethodFinder methodFor: {{#(1 2). #yourself descending}. #(2 1)}.

Also, #ifError: will prevent any error thrown if the block does not match the selector.

Looking forward to your answers :)

Christoph