[squeak-dev] Don Goodman-Wilson’s moral critique of Open Source

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Oct 17 14:16:45 UTC 2019

Eliot,

> Don Goodman-Wilson?s moral critique of Open Source; essential reading.

There is not one word about Free Software nor any discussion of
proprietary software, specially as it shaped the world of the late 1980s
and early 1990s.

While I don't agree with a lot that the OSI says, I do undestand why
they don't allow people to forbid evil uses in their licenses. With
different people having different definitions of evil you would end up
with software that could only be legally used by three people in the
whole world. It sounds good, but it is the path to madness.

But I think it is good to have these discussions and to come up with new
solutions.

-- Jecel