[squeak-dev] 64 bit migration

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Oct 18 00:10:15 UTC 2019

> On 2019-10-17, at 4:19 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But I still think that the right way is to export one's code as packages and rebuild.  Most code "just works", but nothing is going to automagically replace one's use of someObject/nextObject, or the assumption that Float is the only float class, so the user is still going to have to test their code carefully.

Extra hassles come from images where a great deal of setup was done and is not necessarily encoded in, err, code... and of course a lot of these older images are using older code for some important parts. Updating them can easily be a barrier too far.

A VM capable of running a 32bit image is clearly possible. One might consider simplifying the problem a little by asserting that since 32bit Spur images are easy to convert there is no need to worry about handling them with this VM. That also removes the need to deal with the clevernesses added since the advent of the Spur images, which should simplify things a tad. To be honest, it's probably best to just run a plain(ish) interpreter VM (perhaps the stackvm enhancements would be smart to use) and accept that such old images will just be a bit slow by comparison.

We already have VMs with most of these attributes so with luck the remaining work is, surely,  mostly making sure that 32 bit values do not get incorrectly promoted.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- L'ETAT, C'EST MOE - All the world's a stooge