[squeak-dev] about the Viewer for a Morph

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 17:38:33 UTC 2019

I’m not working so much on tile scripting anymore

The main issue is scaleability  of tile  scripting in regards to writing
text scripts and programs. I have worked a lot with etoys and while I find
the concept appealing but I have yet to write anything project bigger than
a dozen scripts. I find it hard to build bigger stuff. Maybe it’s tooling
but my main suspicion is that the premise is flawed.
Text is superior to tiles. Programming is really hard. Writing text scales
better than tiles because it is less rigid and easier to deal with than
tiles.

Best,
Karl

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 at 05:32, Nicola Mingotti <nmingotti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> The feature is very promising.
>
> It would be more than useful, I think it would strike the imagination of
> new potential user if I/whoever would show it in a video.
>
> Consider this, in all other languages to keep an eye on a silly variable
> the fastest way is to print in stdout. This is something that Typing Joe
> did thousands of times.
> It is extremely ugly and messy. I keep printing in Transcript myself and I
> dislike it. I do only because it is fast to implement.
>
> If you are working on it let me know when you have reached a landmark. I
> may illustrate the feature in a new video.
>
> bye
> Nicola
>

> On Oct 18, 2019, at 12:55 PM, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I understand what you talk about now :-)
> This functionality is experimental.  I think it was part of a plan to make
> tile scripting more general but it never not finished.
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 7:37 AM Nicola Mingotti <nmingotti at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> here is a video explaining the question
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2wn9Yc7P2s&feature=youtu.be
>>

>> bye
>> Nicola
>>

>> On Oct 17, 2019, at 9:49 AM, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I dom't really understand what you ask here.
>> Could you send a screen shot or something ?
>>
>> Best,
>> Karl
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:38 AM Nicola Mingotti <nmingotti at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Marcel,
>>>
>>> I understand more or less how to use the Viewer on Players.
>>>
>>> Indeed, I was surprised when I saw that there is a Viewer for a Morph !
>>>
>>> And I don't understand at all how this does fit into the big picture nor
>>> how to use it.
>>>
>>> It would be very nice if I could drag out a line from the Viewer and
>>> keep a variable of the Morph under my eyes in the World, in a tile.
>>>
>>> bye
>>> Nicola

>>> window ?
>>>
>>> I think you need to click on "viewer for player". Players can have
>>> scripts, which are constructed from those tiles.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Marcel
>>>
>>> Am 16.10.2019 00:14:23 schrieb Nicola Mingotti <nmingotti at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please follow these steps:
>>>
>>> 1] Drag a RectangleMorph into the World
>>> 2] Center click over it
>>> 3] Select the wrench Halo icon (gray one)