[squeak-dev] Installer cleverness (was Re: The Inbox: Installer-Core-tpr.434.mcz)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 1 03:26:57 UTC 2019

> On 2019-08-31, at 2:43 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:30 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> d) it does make another place that needs checking as part of release to make sure the package definitions are up to date etc
>
> Not as part of the release process, but simply regular development of the packages affected by new dependency requirements.  These are logical package hierarchies (i.e., just the names and repositories, no notion of physical "versions" anywhere), so its only when a developer enhances a package to suddenly need an all-new dependent that they would update its package-definition in Installer.

Yes, sure; but I'd argue that we should try to make sure they all actually work as part of the release process. Things get broken...

> There are also a bunch of utilities that I suspect are primarily aimed at supporting PersonalSqueakSource usage and that manipulate repository connections and locality.
>
> Of which utilities do you speak?   There's no utilities specific to PersonalSqueakSource that I can recall.  PersonalSqueakSource is entirely its own external package.

OK; there are methods that look(ed) to me (with my already declared mild confusion) as if they are PSS related.
eg
Installer>>#copyLocalVersionsToRemoteFor:
Installer class>>#airplaneMode
Installer class>>#overrideRemoteRepostoriesWith:
Installer class>>#suspendRepositoryOverridesWhile:

> I have read the swiki page (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6366) but honestly it's just too succinct to  work for me. More explanation would certainly help!
>
> I just looked at it and it seems to all be there -- perhaps as the author it's hard for me to understand which parts need more explanation.  A lot of things which express a somewhat complex concept require more than one reading...

Exactly. The problem is that we all tend to write documentation (on the far too rare occasions when we write anything at all) that makes perfect sense once you know what it means. This is why good documenters are so valuable.

It's late enough now that I'll leave more explanation for tomorrow in the hope it will not add confusion.

tim
Press [ESC] to detonate or any other key to explode.