[squeak-dev] [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Sep 2 18:42:31 UTC 2019

A little while back I was recommended to load the refactoring tools with

Installer ensureRecentMetacello.

"Load refactoringbrowser"
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
        configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
        load.

Which seemed to work properly. I didn't do any particular testing as such. And of course, it's definitely a package that could do with a good Help doc.

Over the weekend I also loaded it with

Installer new merge: #maInstaller
MaInstaller new merge: #refactoringTools

.. which loaded fine (and seemed to do so much faster) but did load slightly higher-numbered versions of several packages. I was going to ask about that in the Installer thread but Chris has already mentioned that it just grabs the very latest head package, so no surprises there.

As a general point I'd like to throw down a (small) marker for the idea of incorporating the Refactoring tools in the standard image. We make a big deal of the importance of refactoring code and the way that Smalltalk's tools help do that, but quite a few important refactoring actions are pretty tricky in the standard tools. I'd argue that the integration of the refactoring tools (the menus particularly) could be improved, but still.

A quick couple of tests-
fresh 5.3 image(on my Pi3B+)
a) load metacello and rftools -> 6 minutes and includes metacello help (but an empty metacelloconfigurations help?) adds about 7Mb to the saved image size
b) load MaInstaller & rftools -> about 90 seconds and adds about 3Mb to the saved image. Oh, it doesn't load all the tests; that would explain some time/space things. A possible issue would the the non-loading of the Refactoring-Squeak-Platform package, which may result in some things not work fully?

tim
Useful random insult:- Cackles a lot, but I ain't seen no eggs yet.