[squeak-dev] [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 03:31:50 UTC 2019

Hi Tim,

> As a general point I'd like to throw down a (small) marker for the idea of
> incorporating the Refactoring tools in the standard image. We make a big
> deal of the importance of refactoring code and the way that Smalltalk's
> tools help do that, but quite a few important refactoring actions are
> pretty tricky in the standard tools. I'd argue that the integration of the
> refactoring tools (the menus particularly) could be improved, but still.

Even though I love and use the refactoring tools for development, they
bring too much "weight" to the image and IDE for new and general,
non-developer users.  In particular, it adds quite a few extra menu entries
which are of only interest to developers doing development.  It's 10X
easier for a developer to load the package than for a anyone to unload.
-1

> A quick couple of tests-
> fresh 5.3 image(on my Pi3B+)
> a) load metacello and rftools -> 6 minutes and includes metacello help
> (but an empty metacelloconfigurations help?) adds about 7Mb to the saved
> image size

b) load MaInstaller & rftools -> about 90 seconds and adds about 3Mb to the
> saved image. Oh, it doesn't load all the tests; that would explain some
> time/space things.

The tests are separated into MaInstaller>>#refactoringTests, to be able to
have a smaller footprint.  The official development is on the Metacello
version, I'm not making any new versions or maintaining them.  Just using
and enjoying the functionality.   :)

> A possible issue would the the non-loading of the
> Refactoring-Squeak-Platform package, which may result in some things not
> work fully?

It's included in #refactoringTests.  Is it needed before the tests?  If so,
it should be moved to #refactoringTools.

 - Chris