[squeak-dev] [Squeak5.3a][Test] RefactoringTools --> deprecation warning in Sunit-tests when version for 5.2 is used / maintainer?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Sep 3 04:56:13 UTC 2019

> On 2019-09-02, at 8:31 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> As a general point I'd like to throw down a (small) marker for the idea of incorporating the Refactoring tools in the standard image. We make a big deal of the importance of refactoring code and the way that Smalltalk's tools help do that, but quite a few important refactoring actions are pretty tricky in the standard tools. I'd argue that the integration of the refactoring tools (the menus particularly) could be improved, but still.
>
> Even though I love and use the refactoring tools for development, they bring too much "weight" to the image and IDE for new and general, non-developer users.  In particular, it adds quite a few extra menu entries which are of only interest to developers doing development.  It's 10X easier for a developer to load the package than for a anyone to unload.    -1

I have considerable sympathy for your view, really. I suspect - based on a fairly quick scan of the code, nothing more - that quite a lot could be removed by integrating better into the core of Squeak. There seem to be plenty of classes duplicating extant functionality, at a guess as part of making the code fit many systems. And the integration into the browser menus is, frankly, horrible. Then again, there are *already* way too many poorly thought out menu entries in the browsers. I wish we had the resources to provide the refactoring assistance in a cleaner, better integrated, manner

tim
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive in Silicon Valley