[squeak-dev] [Tools] Possible deprecations in Inspector

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Sep 4 22:04:36 UTC 2019

Hi all,

while working at some refactoring on the Inspector, I found some selectors that might be obsolete:

* Debugger>>#receiverInspectorObject:context: -- no senders in my image

* Inspector>>#context: and the corresponding instvar -- no senders to possible instances of Inspector in my image - but Debugger>>#receiverInspectorObject:context:

Also, the comment mentions a class named ClosureEnvInspector, which is also not present in my image. Was that a predecessor of ContextInspector?

Or would it be interesting in Debugger, to tell the receiverInspector about the selectedContext in #resetContext:changeContents:, and in Inspector, to expose context as doItContext? This would allow you to evaluate context-dependent expressions in both Inspector windows. Pro: You would not have to "move around" with your code to the second value pane when evaluating such expressions. Con: You would not be able to access shadowed variables programmatically any longer while debugging. Opinions?

* #defaultIntegerBaseInDebugger

Is sent by (ContextVariable)Inspector>>#defaultIntegerBase, but nowhere implemented (at least in my image). Also, the current implementation is quite ugly + overheady by catching each possible DNU instead of checking #respondsTo:. Are you aware of any implementation of this selector?

* Inspector>>#classOfSelection

Also no senders in my image, and it is 100% identical to #selectedClass.

So, which of these selectors do you think we can delete or deprecate? I will be happy to do that. :)

Best,

Christoph