[squeak-dev] [Test] 5.3 alpha 32 bit for macOS fails in SnowLeopard

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 15:23:31 UTC 2019

Hi Edgar

On 8/21/19, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I decide move all my stuff to 5.3 as see a lot is changing.
> And revive a 2010 mac mini with Snow Leopard
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/5.3alpha/Squeak5.3alpha-18222-32bit/Squeak5.3alpha-182
> 22-32bit-201810071412-macOS.dmg

So I understand you tested Squeak5.3a on MacOS Snow Leopard on a 2010
machine. And it did not work.

> But
> http://ftp.squeak.org/5.0/Squeak-5.0-All-in-One.zip works and moving the
> relevant part to Applications , this VM launchs Squeak5.3alpha-18222-32bit
> .image

I understand that if you take the VM from a Squeak5.0-All-InOne 32 bit
release and use a Squeak5.3alpha-18222 image it runs fine.

Does this mean that the VMs includes in the releases 5.1 and 5.2 do
not work on MacOS Snow leopard with a Squeak5.3alpha-18222-32bit?

Kind regards
Hannes

P.S. Please note that the current Squeak5.3 alpha image has the build
number 18879. For testing it is good to go for the latests version.

P.S. 2   I changed the subject line [Bug] --> [Test]. It is about
testing which old OS is supported or no longer supported. The other
issue is finding a workaround for your problem. For example it might
be a solution for you to run the very recent Squeak5.3a image with a
Squeak 5.0VM.
But maybe the fixes needed are not many.