[squeak-dev] LayoutFrame>>#printOn:

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Sep 18 18:33:24 UTC 2019

Perhaps I missed it in the huge raft of emails I got this morning, but I'd urge people to remember the history of #printOn: & #storeOn: and related methods.
#printOn: is expected to result in a displayable String that offers a description of the receiver that can be helpful in debugging or other simple 'remind what this is' scenarios.
#storeOn: is/was an early attempt at providing a String that could be selected and evaluated to recreate an identical object. It had and has massive problems with anything actually complex - cycles, large size, whatever. That's why serializers came to be.

My advice would be to not to try to push either too far. It will only cause pain...

tim
We can rescue a hostage or bankrupt a system. Now, what would you like us to do?