[squeak-dev] Why is ModificationForbidden not an Error?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 01:21:24 UTC 2020

> If I do this:
>
>     [ Error signal. 'resumed' ] on: Error do: [ : err | err resume ]
>
> I get an IllegalResumeAttempt exception, as it should be. Developers
> or Squeak app users can always press Proceed (and hopefully they now
> what they are doing), but you cannot "click proceed" in any regular
> error handling code. So you cannot proceed non-resumable exceptions
> in, for example, unattended batch jobs.

You're right.  I fooled myself In my quick test, I had only written the
code in the block:

     Error signal. 'resumed'

instead of writing the full handler like above, and noticed I was able to
Proceed and get 'resumed' out of it.  It does indeed correctly check for
IllegalResumeAttempt if you resume via #resume.  Sorry for that false alarm.

 - Chris