[squeak-dev] Idle MVC RootProject is very CPU hungry

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Apr 12 15:39:29 UTC 2020

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 03:42:42PM +0200, St??phane Rollandin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just noticed that the top-level RootProject, when entered, makes the
> VM take a lot of CPU (a full core on my system, which amounts to 100%).
>
> I'm on windows 8.1.
>
> Is this expected?

No, it is not expected. At least I didn't expect it.

I see the same behavior on Linux. I also tested with a trunk-level V3
image on an interpreter VM, and see the same.

So it is not the VM, and it is not the operating system. It happens in
any MVC project, and I also notice that the CPU usage goes back down
to about 25% if I open anything in the MVC project, such as a workspace
or a browser or even an mouse-click world menu.

It looks like the ScreenController is just looping on fetch more events
with no delays involved, and the activity seems to drop down when there
is something for other controllers to do.

Leaving a workspace open in the root project is a workaround.

Dave