[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tests-cmm.428.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Apr 21 15:02:25 UTC 2020

> Maybe it is time we reconnected the direct-semaphore

What do you mean? CMD+Comma? In Smalltalk-80 there was something like a second interrupt key to directly show the emergency evaluator...

Best,
Marcel
Am 20.04.2020 19:31:43 schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> On 2020-04-20, at 8:05 AM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>
> > Why doesn't the test timeout catch it?
>
> Hmm... seems to be that there is an interference between recursive printOn: and Squeak's process scheduling. The VM is not even able to signal the UserInterruptSemaphore so CMD+Dot does not work either. Memory consumption is just going up and up and up ...

Two possibilities occur to me
1) it's not actually running Smalltalk any more but is deep in the VM code trying to write out the stack. I've seen this quite a few times when recursion goes a bit feral.
2) Maybe it is time we reconnected the direct-semaphore that was once intended to whack the system upside the head when you hit the interrup key (which, we should remember, used to be configurable and not fixed as cmd/ctl-. )

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Te precor dulcissime supplex! = Pretty please with a cherry on top!