[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-mt.886.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Apr 22 17:14:07 UTC 2020

This is exciting. :-) I agree with the both of you, Subbu and Nicolas. Even if not in Graphics, Text does not belong in the Collections package.

Best,
Marcel
Am 22.04.2020 19:09:56 schrieb Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:
Text is an abstract layer, independent of rendering.
It's not the graphic object per se, just some specification (= string + tags).

We can render the same Text with different style options (line wrap or not, default font, tab spacing, paragraph indentation, interline, etc...).

Text rendering requires composition which currently occur in the Graphics package (CharacterScanner & al).

CompositionScanner and DIsplayScanner are higher level than what we generally expect in graphics.
They use what we might consider much lower level graphics primitives like measuring and rendering individual characters or short strings with a specific font...

Le mer. 22 avr. 2020 à 17:51, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com [mailto:kksubbu.ml at gmail.com]> a écrit :

On 22/04/20 1:17 PM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>  > I'd rather have its own package. I don't think about most of text in
> the domain of graphics ;D
>
> In such a package, Fonts, TextStyle, Paragraph, etc. would be, too. ;-)

In theory, Text (string decorations) comes under graphics. In practice,
there is difference between fine text used in spans like paragraphs and
gross text used in shapes like Text Art.

Fine text needs careful handling beyond simple graphic transformations.
Word wrapping are not just graphical ops. They need to account for
language-dependent direction, hyphenation and ligatures. Fonts are not
just an array of vector shapes but have rendering hints and tweaks for
various resolutions. So fine text needs its own package.

Larger text (like Text Art) does come under graphics and can behave like
any other graphic shapes. Text Art could be part of graphics.

Regards .. Subbu