[squeak-dev] Why is ModificationForbidden not an Error?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 22 17:59:50 UTC 2020

> On 2020-04-22, at 3:20 AM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> So, we make ModificationForbidden a (resumable) Error for now? Is this the conclusion?

It's a super-low-level error that ought to be handled really really closely to where the error was raised. As Eliot mentioned, the VM can't know the circumstances and just raises it; the the closest possible handler should be in place that *does* know the circumstances. That way Chris gets to spot that is it a database issue and handle things properly, including likely raising a new error for higher level code.

Given having a handler really close to the source, perhaps we are better off keeping it non-resumable and using one of the other approaches to continuing like #retryUsing: (ExceptionTester>>#simpleRetryUsingTest is the only example in the clean image) ?

tim
Strange OpCodes: BFM: Branch on Full Moon