[squeak-dev] Installer metacello

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Apr 30 08:21:06 UTC 2020

Installer can become a great starting point for code and resource loading for all kinds of local experiments. Including file-in from the file system. It might already be: Installer class >> installFile:.

So, Installer is at a different abstraction level and has different use cases compared to Metacello.

Best,
Marcel
Am 30.04.2020 10:18:08 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
> ... having multiple, platformspecific ways really is against that spirit.

So, in the long term, you want to get rid of Installer? Well, either that or fill it up to the current state of things. I did not argue that those Installer calls should be used in a cross-dialect setting. But it would help building things such as the PreferenceWizard.

Best,
Marcel
Am 30.04.2020 10:13:07 schrieb Tobias Pape <das.linux at gmx.de>:

> On 30.04.2020, at 09:49, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>
> > Because that would essentially be Metcallo itself.
>
> I think an additional way through the Installer protocol wouldn't hurt. Maybe "Installer metacello" could just return "Metacello new". Or directly map the #install call to Metacello in a custom InstallerMetacello as suggested:
>
> Installer metacello "returns a new InstallerMetacello"
> package: 'Xtreams'; "maps auto-magically to ConfigurationOfXtreams"
> install.

I'd really like to _not_ have that.

The very point of Metacello is that you can say

"Metacello new ..." on GemStone AND Squeak AND Pharo AND ...

and having multiple, platformspecific ways really is against that spirit.

Best regards
-Tobias