[squeak-dev] Squeak News from 2001

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Mon Aug 3 01:47:34 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Squeak News was a multimedia e-zine published by Tansel Ersavas in 2001 as
Squeak images on CD-ROM. Each issue contains contributions from many people
in our community. I build a web viewer using SqueakJS:
https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html

The source code is on GitHub:
https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeaknews
Contributions welcome!

If you find something that doesn't work correctly, please file a bug report
on github.

Enjoy!
Vanessa

I'm copying the table of contents below:

Volume 1 Issue 1, July 2001
Open Issue #1
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#1>Cover PageDid
you have fun with our cover page? We certainly did. A little heavy with
animation, a little slow on slower machines, but still enjoyable. So if at
any point you would like to return to it please feel free.Our First IssueWhat
On Earth Are We Doing? by Tansel ErsavasWell, now you know. Read all about
it in this editorial note.This month in the Squeak World by Bijan ParsiaThis
month's news include summaries of the activity of the Squeak list and the
Squeak foundation list. Squeak in the press and Squeak Central's new move
is high on the agenda.Mini E-View with Dan IngallsDo not miss this mini
E-view with Dan Ingalls about the latest move of Squeak Central and future
of Squeak!A Most Unusual Method Finder by Ted KaehlerIn this essay Ted
takes us through the Method finder and the idea behind it. Ted explains how
he started writing the method finder, how it works, how the symbol table is
searched, how "methods by example" works and how method finder handles an
exhaustive search without causing any damage to the system.Interview with
John MaloneyPart 1: Before AppleIn the first part of this in-depth
interview, we talked with John about the early days: how he started working
with Smalltalk, his early Xerox days, the origins of Celeste, his
experience with other systems, constraint based programming, Self and the
birth of Morphic.VMMaker - a tool to make VM making simpler by Tim RowledgeIn
this article, Tim explains the VmMaker and the motive behind it. Tim's
VmMaker makes the process of generating VMs much easier. Tim explains the
usage of VmMaker and he states possible enhancements to it.The Foundations
of SqueakNOS by the SqueakNOS team / Luciano NotarfrancescoSqueakNOS is an
ambitious project that aims to strip that useless huge nappy padded
underwear of computers that is called an "operating system" and replace it
with a layer all written in Squeak! Here the SqueakNOS team explain how
they intend to do it, what they have done so far, how they have done it,
and what they aim to do.Squeak Tweaks: Celeste as a Mailing List Summarizer by
Bijan ParsiaIn this corner of the e-zine, Bijan will show us how to tweak
Squeak with interesting insights.In his first article Bijan takes Celeste
and turns it into a mail list summarizer! He explains the need for the mail
summarizer (after all he volunteered for the Squeak News monthly email
summaries!) and step by step explains how Celeste is turned into a handy
mail summarizer sidekick. After reading this article you will have a good
idea about how he can categorize and sift through the enormous amount of
email that Squeak list generates with a little help from his new
Celeste-MLS!Squeak Documentation InitiativeSqueak Documentation initiative
is a Squeak News sponsored activity that will start with this issue. Here
we will explain mechanisms and ask for volunteers for this initiative. The
goal is to create a giant living reference manual and a reference server
that any Squeak that is on the net can hook up to and access to on-line
documantaion. This documentation will be in a form that can be embedded in
any image and will have built in mechanisms to update itself when changes
are made and post these updates to a central server or other peers. Another
useful document is a user guide which will also be semi-automatically
generated. Documentation swiki pages will be used to capture most additions
and modifications to the documentation. More details will soon be available
from the Squeak News site.Fun with Squeak: Learn to Juggle with Squeak by
Tansel ErsavasIn this article Tansel takes you to a journey that will
juggle two things at once: learning juggling while writing a tutorial that
teaches juggling. It is a meta-juggling tutorial that is a lot of fun. Most
aspects of juggling from choosing the right balls to how not to juggle with
raw eggs are clearly illustrated with animated examplesSqueak Notebook by
Torsten BergmannA little example of how a SqueakBook can look like a
notebookBest of Bob's SuperSwiki: Squeak or How the Mouse RoarsEach month
we will feature a project published in Bob's super Swiki or other public
Super Swikis. This month we feature the first part of Torsten Bergman's
HTMR: Squeak or How the Mouse Roars' series.Squeak Graphics by Ali
ChamasGraphics
created by Ali Chamas using Squeak captured the attention of many people
and some of these graphics were featured in web sites such as flipcode.com.
See them yourself.This Month's Quiz: Detecting an Alarm via Email from a
Remote LocationTributes: Pat Caudill and Jerry ArchibaldThis month we have
lost 2 Smalltalkers. Pat Caudill (1945-2001) passed away June 14, 2001, and
Jerry Archibald (1940-2001) passed away June 22, 2001.
All Issues
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#toc>Volume
1 Issue 2, 15 August 2001
Open Issue #2
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#2>Focus on
BeginnersStarting with this issue we will focus on beginners and every
issue of Squeak News will feature at least one article targeted at
beginners. This month we feature two articles that would help beginners.
You will also find in this issue very interesting articles about hardware
that can run Squeak, a very interesting user interface framework for UI
development specifically tailored towards PDAs and Kiosk style
applications. The Squeak Tweaks corner will feature a quickie HTML editor.
For the diehards who are determined to rip the operating system under
Squeak the current installment of the SqueakNOS series is "Story of the
Quake Packet". You will also find the conclusion of the Juggling article
and continuation of our in-depth interview with John Maloney.Squeak Related
NewsThis month's news include summaries of the activity of the Squeak list
and the Squeak foundation list and our report on fun new hardware to play
with SqueakMonthly digest of the Squeak Mailing list by Bijan ParsiaEvery
month Bijan summarizes the Squeak mailing list painstakingly by organizing
postings under threads with commentary using home-bred tools that he
developed. (and explained some of them in the July issue) If you are busy
and can't follow the fast pace of the Squeak list this is the column to
read! This section will be emailed to our email subscribers as well as
posted on the on the web.Mean Squeak MachinesIn these articles we chase our
DynaBook dreams and look at some of the latest systems from super PDAs to
desktop units that can run Squeak happily.Cool PeripheralsWe also
investigate some peripherals that can enhance our Squeak experience from
tablet-screens to solid-state USB disk units that are attached to key-rings.How
to Begin Squeak by Tansel ErsavasThis article is the first of a series
about Squeak that aims to take a person from the beginner stage to the
level of a highly sophisticated programmer during the course of this (long)
series. In this article, Tansel outlines basic concepts of object oriented
approach and Squeak. He emphasizes differences between Squeak and most
other languages, explains why it is harder for people who have been exposed
to other languages to learn Squeak and suggests strategies that would
accelerate the learning process.An Approach for Teaching and Learning
Squeak by Michael GuenterMichael brings us the experience of a teacher and
proposes an approach for learning and teaching Squeak. He defines different
kinds of newbies and discusses best approach for them and elaborates on his
"study buddies" idea which has already attracted interest.Control your
Submorphs by Ted Kaehler and Andreas RaabIn this active article Ted and
Andreas take us to a tour of the new layout mechanism of morphs recently
introduced to Squeak by Andreas Raab. As nicely stated by Ted: "Why talk
about something when you can see it in action", this article will come to
life when playing with it very true to the soul of Squeak News.The second
part of an In-depth Interview with John MaloneyIn the second part of this
in-depth interview, John talks about the Apple days, the birth of Squeak,
how Squeak became on open source project, and how his expectations were
exceeded with community support. We also discussed with him about the past
life of Morphic before Squeakt.A Minimal User Interface Toolkit for PDAs
and Kiosks by Tansel ErsavasIn this article Tansel introduces us to a very
basic set of tools that help us implement simple user interfaces especially
suitable for point and click applications. These applications are more
likely to be useful on environments where using Morphic is not feasible
such as small PDAs and Kiosk applications that operate on hardware with
limited resources and where the input is limited to a touch screen or
stylus input.Story of a Quake Packet by the SqueakNOS teamDo you know what
these naughty people at the SqueakNOS team do when their workmates go into
a frenzy of playing Quake? They peep the network activity using nothing
other than their naughtier collaborator Squeak! Read this captivating story
of intrigue and deception, and find out all about those Quake packets that
lurk at your network pipes while people are playing Quake!.Squeak Tweaks: A
Quickie HTML Editor by Bijan ParsiaIn this corner of the e-zine, Bijan
shows us how to tweak Squeak with interesting insights.In this article
Bijan has a go at a quickly put together HTML editor which could be the
beginning of a HTML editor liberator!Juggle with Squeak by Tansel ErsavasIn
this part of this series Tansel finally puts his act together (almost),
both about juggling, and finishing this tutorial, and the rest of the
people can finally juggle. He still has to write about the beautification
process though.Squeak Documentation initiativeSqueak Documentation
initiative is a Squeak News sponsored activity that will continue with this
issue. This month's initiative will be discussed on our documentation SWiki
later when the documentation SWiki is up and running.Squeak quiz with
surprize rewardsEvery month, we have a question that addresses a specific
problem and collect all answers. We will then publish selected answers and
declare one as the "editor's choice". The person who sent the selected
solution will receive a mystery reward from us.
All Issues
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#toc>Volume
1 Issue 3, 15 September 2001
Open Issue #3
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#3>Squeak
for a Better World!We changed our theme to Squeak for a Better World after
the tragic events of September 11. Read all about the shock, frustrations
and ideas about Squeak for a better world.Focus: MultimediaThere is a lot
in Squeak News this month. Close to the end of this month is the 5th
anniversary of the day Squeak was placed on the Internet for the rest of
the world to enjoy and we e-talked with Dan Ingalls about this most
important event. The focus of this issue is Squeak and Multimedia and we
have a significant amount of content about the subject. We feature two
interactive demos: Squeak Cinema: A demo of the Squeak MPEG player, and
SqueakAmp: The Squeak MP3 player. In addition we feature an article about
the MPEG player of Squeak by John McIntosh, the full set of the active
essays on studying computer music by Mark Guzdial and an article about
PhotoSqueak by Juan Manuel Vuletich. Karl Ramberg's contribution is a short
active essay about Art and Computers. Our beginners series focus is
objects, messages and beyond. An example of system level programming in
Squeak is given in the article "The SqueakNOS keyboard". We also solicited
an article about one of the recent developments about Squeak GemStone
connectivity and we are happy to feature this article about GemSqueak.Squeak
Related NewsThis month's news include an E-view with Dan Ingalls, summaries
of the activity of the Squeak list and John McIntosh' Essen STUG
reports.Squeak's
5th Birthday! An e-view with Dan IngallsAfter looking at all the evidence
we decided that the 25th September 1996 was the day Squeak was unleashed to
us mortals (incidentally after about 9 months of incubation)! We declared
this day to be Squeak's "birth" day. We asked Dan about that day, a little
earlier, and a little later, and Dan answered!Monthly digest of the Squeak
Mailing list by Bijan ParsiaEvery month Bijan summarizes the Squeak mailing
list painstakingly by organizing postings under threads with commentary
using home-bred tools that he developed. (and explained some of them in the
July issue) If you are busy and can't follow the fast pace of the Squeak
list this is the column to read! This section will be emailed to our email
subscribers as well as posted on the on the web.The World of Squeak:
Objects, Messages and Beyond by Tansel ErsavasThis article is the second
installment of a series about Squeak that aims to take a person from the
beginner stage to the level of a highly sophisticated programmer during the
course of this (long) series. In this article, Tansel explains the basic
concepts of Squeak such as objects, messages and relationships between
objects.Active Essays for Studying Computer Music by Mark GuzdialIf Mark
Guzdial isn't an institution, he should be made into one.
Author/instigator/editor of the two current Squeak books, hacker of PWS &
the original Swiki, hoster of Swikis, teacher of Squeak... He, his
students, and his classes are always throwing out cool stuff for the rest
of us. For his class on "Computer Music Implementation", he wrote a series
of active essays, which cover everything from the built in Squeak sound
tools to MIDI. Aside from being nicely written/constructed on interesting
topics -- i.e., an enjoyable read -- they are great examples of active
essays. Mark was kind enough to let us feature the entire series in Squeak
News with a bonus introduction that puts these great active essays in
perspective.MPEG: Finding a Fit by John McIntoshAmong all these activities
that keeps us all informed about what is going on around the world, John
found the time to write about that magical plug-in that enables us to play
highly compressed video and from within the comforts of Squeak.Squeak CinemaA
showcase of the MPEG player and some of Squeak's presentation abilities. It
features a trailer of a movie to be released next year by 20th Century Fox
(C) 20th. Century Fox. The main feature is named "The Killer Bean Part 2,
The Party" short masterpiece by Jeff Lew, slighltly over 6 minutes. This is
an animation fully done by the author himself in 3 years on one computer.
After the movie was released on the net it was downloaded more than 1
million times and helped him to join to the ranks of Hollywood's magic
makers and he has been involved in movies such as the Matrix and the Matrix
2. We wish to advise our audiance that the movie contains strong violance
and people who can't watch coffee beans destroyed should refrain from
watching the movie. Sorry? What? No we don't have any grudges against
coffee in any shape and we haven't hired the killer bean for any
jobs.SqueakAmp:
Squeak's MP3 playerA demonstration of the MP3 playback ability of Squeak
that is written by Bob Hartwig using the MPEG plug-in.Art, Computers by
Karl RambergKarl tosses questions about Art and Computers and starts
experimenting in this short and sweet active essay...The Conclusion of our
In-depth Interview with John MaloneyIn the conclusion of this in-depth
interview, we talked with John about Morphic, how it differed from the
original Self Morphic, and what is in the crystal ball for Morphic. We also
talked about the Disney days, some projects that John got involved and
more...The Squeak Keyboard: An Introduction to Low Level Programming in
SqueakNOS by the SqueakNOS teamThis article explains how Squeak handles
keyboard programming from within SqueakNOS. Don't try this code at home! It
will only work within SqueakNOS.PhotoSqueak: An Image Processing Framework by
Juan Manuel VuletichWhat started as a school project may well turn out to
be a powerful general purpose digital image processing system for Squeak.
Learn all about it.GemSqueak: A Full Functional GemStone Client by Valeria
MurgiaGemSqueak is a full featured and full functional GemStone client.
Valeria Murgia with collaboration by Leandro Caniglia explains this
exciting project. Keep an eye for their SqueakAttic OODB project as well.Book
published in Squeak News and naturally it is about the first book on Squeak
ever published.Globe by Torsten BergmannA cool demo of 3D on a background
created by the author.Juggle with Squeak by Tansel ErsavasIn this part of
the series Tansel beautifies the Juggling Scene and explains how to create
a simple user interface for the Juggling demo.Squeak quiz with surprize
rewardsThis month we will not have a Squeak quiz, instead we are preparing
a Squeak Challenge
All Issues
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#toc>Volume
1 Issue 4, 15 October 2001
Open Issue #4
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#4>*Powerful
Ideas in the Classroom*Editor's NoteMonthly News:This month's news include
summaries of the activity of the Squeak list and John McIntosh's OOPSLA
trip reports.Monthly digest of the Squeak Mailing list by Bijan ParsiaEvery
month Bijan summarizes the Squeak mailing list painstakingly by organizing
postings under threads with commentary using home-bred tools that he
developed. (and explained some of them in the July issue) If you are busy
and can't follow the fast pace of the Squeak list this is the column to
read! This section will be emailed to our email subscribers as well as
posted on the on the web.OOPSLA Trip Reports by John McIntoshJohn is an
avid follower and documenter of almost every event. We asked if he would
allow his excellent OOPSLA trip reports that are published on his site to
be included in Squeak News and he kindly allowed us to include them with
the Squeak News e-zine. Once we merged these reports with pictures of
Michael Rueger it turned out to be a lively digest, just like if you were
there!FeaturesStronger Goals for Education by Alan KayIn this article Alan
defines stronger goals for education and explains the role of Squeak in
this picture. A must read for all parties who have an interest in
education.Treasures
Unearthed: Alan Kay's Active Essays and ArticlesWe used this opportunity to
feature many of Alan's past articles and active essays. As always Alan was
very generous in allowing us to reprint these immense treasures in our
colorful format and we have tried to illustrate them a little as well.
Authoring by Alan KayThis is the introduction published on SqueakLand.org.
It is a short but a very powerful article summarizes the purpose and the
origin of SqueakEToys and SimStories in Squeak by Alan KayThis is a well
known active essay by Alan Kay also featured on SqueakLand.org. In this
active essay Alan shows us how simple scripting can be used to explain
ideas that can't easily be explained. It explains the power of the Etoy
system, the concept of active essays, why Etoys are important to science
and math, and how Etoys are envisioned to be used in such active essays to
even encyclopedias. A must read and should be in the pockets of every
trainer!Computers, Networks and Education by Alan KayIn this classic
originally printed in Scientific American in September 1991 issue AlanScience
Already IS Art! by Alan KayA short and sweet article originally written for
The San Jose Museum of Technology brochure.We will also publish more of
Alan Kay's articles next monthSqueak in the Open Charter School by B.J.
Allen-ConnB.J. has been involved in teaching children about interactive
computing environments since 1986. Benefit from her experience in teaching
Squeak to children. There are several examples of students of the Open
Charter School. Be sure to check them all.The Big Race! by Open Charter
School studentsDon't miss this Grand Prix of cars developed by students
racing to capture the elusive championships. The creativity of students
shine when cars of all colors and shapes take on each other at the
track!Interactive
Web-based Modeling and Explorations by Naala BrewerIn this article Naala
details her interactive web-based explorations with students during the
course of her teaching of interactivity through Squeak.Etoy examples by
various studentsCool examples of ingenious usage of Squeak Etoy system by
students in 4th and 5th grades in the Open Charter School. Be inspired by
their creativity!School Squeaking by Cathleen GalasCathleen teaches at the
Seeds University Elementary School, which is the laboratory school for the
Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, UCLA. As a teacher
already experienced in introducing kids to the Microworlds logo she details
her experience with Squeak and Squeak's advantages over other systems. Her
illuminating observations and student feedback make an excellent case for
Squeak's use in the classroom.Youngest Users of Squeak SpeakFeedback by
some of the youngest users of SqueakEtoys: Squeak as an Authoring System
for Kids (and Kids at Heart!!)We feature every tutorial we can find about
the Etoy system by various authors. Enjoy them all!Squeak News Exclusive
Interview with Kim RoseThis month we had a chance to talk to Kim Rose
(co-Director of the Viewpoints Research Institute: now home of Squeak
Central, long term member of the Squeak Central, co-editor of the book
Squeak: Open Personal Computing and Multimedia) in depth about how she got
involved in computing and Squeak, media and cognitive science, her interest
and efforts in Squeak and kids, Apple days, Disney days, and post Disney.
This month we will publish Part 1 of this 3 part series.Plugging in Squeak by
Michael RuegerIn this article Michael takes us from the beginning and tells
us how the Squeak plug-in came to life, where was it first used, how is it
used and what is and what is not in the pipeline.As a courtesy to our
subscribers we include the plug-in installers for various platforms for you
to save you some download time.From objects to classes by Tansel ErsavasThis
article is the third installment of a series about Squeak that aims to take
a person from the beginner stage to the level of a highly sophisticated
programmer during the course of this (long) series. In this article, Tansel
explains the concept of a class, how classes and objects are related, and
how classes are related to each other.A Minimal Multimedia Manager for PDAs
and Kiosks by Tansel ErsavasThis article will be published on our SWiki
later due to heavy commitments and health problems of the author. We
apologize.Juggle with Squeak by Tansel ErsavasIn this part of the series
Tansel finishes the demo and packages it with a gift wrap!Little ButterflyA
little poem by a very sweet girl!Squeak's Most Wanted ListStarting this
issue we will create a "Most Wanted list" for Squeak and offer some
rewards. Since it will be on an SWiki page you are free to add your "most
wanted feature or function" to the list. In every issue of Squeak we will
recite the top of the list, newcomers to this list and report progress if
any. This month there is a grand challenge: Target:Advance
All Issues
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#toc>Volume
1 Issue 5, November 2001
Open Issue #5
<https://smalltalkzoo.computerhistory.org/SqueakNews/index.html#5>*Future
Technologies that may impact Squeak*EditorialThe Squeak Mailing List
SummaryActually,
this month it is not a summary, but an entire dump of all the mails in the
mailing list.Future Technologies that may Impact Squeak by Tansel ErsavasIn
this issue of Squeak News we decided to have a quick trip to the near
future and come back with some gossip about what might impact Squeak and in
what ways.Mean Squeak Machines: Futuristic ToysContinuing our future theme
is the seciton on mean Squeak machines: Futuristic toys. Enjoy them!A
Simple Task Management Tool by Tansel ErsavasThis article introducs a
simple task management tool which could be used as a simple project
management tool as well as a task scheduling tool.Alan Kay Treasure ChestIn
this issue we continue to publish past Alan Kay articles. This month we
feature two more of his famous articles.Global Village or Global
Civilization? by Alan C. KayRevealing the Elephant: The Use and Misuse of
Computers in Education by Alan C. KayThe Rolodex Tutorial by John HinsleyHere
at last John Hinsley's Rolodex Tutorial in pure Squeak!SUnit Explained by
Stephane DucasseA clear and detailed explanation of the SUnit framework
useful not only for using the framework but also discusses the issues
related to the imporatnce and practicability of testing using SUnit.Squeak
User Manual by Maarten MaartenszMaarten has a real hard go at the elusive
goal of documenting Squeak. His user manual is a very concrete definition
of Squeak. We will publish the continuation of his efforts as well.Squeak
Tweaks: Are we Still Editing HTML? by Bijan ParsiaThe short answer is,
yes!Squeak
for Beginners: A Mini tour of Squeak's ClassesEnjoy some of Squeak's most
used classes with some insider informationSqueak News Exclusive Interview
with Kim Rose: Part 2A Mini Utility: Auto Save MorphSeason's Greetings!