[squeak-dev] PositionableStream >> #peekBack behavior

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Aug 7 23:57:45 UTC 2020

On Sat, Aug 08, 2020 at 01:52:17AM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2020, Eric Gade wrote:
>

> >On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 7:45 PM Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
> >??
> >      So, I think it's a good time to change its behavior to be based on
> >      #back.
> >

> >      Levente
> >

> >Ok I have the change (along with a few new tests) made and ready to go. I
> >have never contributed to Squeak before. I am trying to follow these
> >instructions from the wiki.
> >I don't have a lot of experience here with Monticello and changesets,
> >however. Right now my "changes" are across two different packages (Streams
> >and Tests-Streams). Do I "save" these commits separately, or is there some
> >way
> >to have them both be in one commit?
>
> It should be two commits, since commits are per package in Monticello.
> But, we don't have any packages named Streams or Test-Streams in Squeak.
> ReadStream is in the Collections package while ReadStreamTest is in the
> CollectionsTests package.
> Are you sure Streams and Tests-Streams are the names of the packages in
> your image?

Hi Eric,

To add to what Levente says, Usually what you would want to do is
save your changes using an existing package. For example, if you have
some changes to class PositionableStream, that class is part of the
'Collections-Streams' category in a system browser, and when you look
at the packages in a Monticello browser, this category is part of the
'Collections' package (this is all just based on naming conventions).

If your image is up to date with the trunk update stream, then your
image will be using Collections-eem.907.mcz from the trunk repository,
and the changes that you have made in your image would be relative to
that MCZ version. When you save your changes to the inbox, you would
be saving a new version called (probably) collections-EG.908.mcz.

You will save your tests separately, probably in the 'CollectionsTests'
package. It is fine to have the two separate, although sometimes it
is helpful to add something in the commit comments along the lines of
"these tests go with those changes" or "these updates in Collections
make the tests in CollectionsTests pass" just to make the connection.

Don't worry about getting this perfect (especially the first time!).
Even if there is a mistake it is usually easy for people to figure out
what the changes were and merge them at a later time.

HTH,
Dave