[squeak-dev] Is it dangerous to ignore Dangerous?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Aug 19 19:41:53 UTC 2020

Following the removal of Classbuilder>>format:variable:words:pointers:weak:
I had planned to remove a reference to that method (and one or two others)
in MethodFinder>>noteDangerous. But to my surprise, I see that the set of
Dangerous methods in MethodFinder is completely unused (except by a method
that is itself unused).

How is this even possible? I had assumed that the Dangerous methods were
important to the fundamental functioning of MethodFinder, which explores
the system looking for methods that produce results matching some example
pattern. How could this possibly be working if we do not pay attention to
the set of methods that are too dangerous to be invoked by the method finder?

This is not a new situation, I looked at a Squeak 3.6 image and see the
same thing.

Dave