[squeak-dev] base64 encoding and CRs

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Aug 22 17:41:59 UTC 2020

> On 2020-08-22, at 7:40 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> I fear that you have been spending too much time immersing yourself the
> gratuitous improvements of modern technology. Surely you still remember
> how to connect your computer with a proper rotary dial phone and acoustic
> coupler. Once connected, you would use uuencode/uudecode (like base64)
> to send binary stuff to the uucp network in a shar archive.

I missed that level of 'pleasure' by a couple of years but my first experiences with trying to sned data from one computer to another involved 'cables' made by soldering dress-maker's pins to wires in orderto be able to probe the DB15/25 connectors and work out which ones were the appropriate ones. Such fun!

> Naturally you would want to add line terminators in your encoded data,
> othewise people might not be able to view it in their vi text editor or
> text mail client.

Oh yea, *those* people. It's ok though, there will be at least 42 emacs modes and add-ons to handle it for you, just so long as you have the proper emacs extended edition 432 key keyboard. With the full dozen meta keys.

tim
"Bother" said Pooh, as he realised Piglet was undercooked.