[squeak-dev] Git and Tonel (and Magritte)

Beckmann, Tom Tom.Beckmann at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Aug 25 06:15:55 UTC 2020

Hi Sean,

we added initial support for Tonel in Squeak in this somewhat recent Metacello PR: https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/pull/515

It has not undergone as much testing as the filetree infrastructure and people occasionally still find bugs. Additionally, since we do not have a tight integration with the underlying git repo, versions and author timestamps are lost when loading Tonel repos in Squeak at the moment.

My personal opinion is that if you have showstopping issues on Windows due to filetree, moving to Tonel is the right call. Maybe you could consider doing the transition on a branch first, try loading it in Squeak5.3, and report any issues you notice.

Best,
Tom