[squeak-dev] Squeak, Tonel, and the Tonel standard

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Wed Aug 26 19:20:02 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Dale let me know this morning that Tonel was being discussed on
Squeak-dev.  I beg your pardon for arriving late.

As Dale said, I'm the minder of the Tonel 1.0 standard, which is
currently in draft, with initial feedback from some of the folks who
have implemented or are interested in implementing Tonel for their
Smalltalk dialect.

I'm interested in getting feedback from *all* dialects who are
interested in using Tonel. I hope that the Squeak community will
participate.

Tonel started as a collaboration between Pharo (primarily Esteban
Lorenzano) and GemTalk (primarily me), but the intent has always been to
have a format that can be used in common between *all* dialects of
Smalltalk. The fundamental shape of Tonel is probably not going to
change at this point, but feedback so far is likely to result in some
changes to the draft standard.

Note that Tonel as currently implemented by Pharo is a bit different
from standard Tonel. Pharo has agreed to make several changes to the
format to standardize it. I'm not sure what the status of those changes
within the Pharo project. The GemStone implementation is closer to the
standard, though not fully there yet.

I encourage the Squeak community to consider whether coding to the
standard early on might be a desirable direction. As Dale explained, the
standard does allow for dialect-specific properties, so adding
timestamps probably doesn't require any changes to the spec.

I'd like it If a few folks from the community would volunteer to give
the spec a careful read-through and comment. It's a bit of a read (and
was quite a bit of effort to write!) so I won't post the draft on the
list, but it's available by request, and I need to figure out a place to
make it readily available.

Regards,
-Martin