[squeak-dev] Condensing sources for a new release

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Feb 7 06:13:53 UTC 2020

> On 2020-02-06, at 6:03 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>  And if it is a lot of work and/or
> confusion, then the best thing for 5.3 is don't worry about condensing
> the sources for this release. It's definitely a "nice to have" and not
> a requirement for Squeak 5.3.

Oh, definitely. The *important* thing here is actually that we have three problems revealed by this experiment -
a) somehow an update ended up in the 52 update stream but did not get into the trunk stream and so gets missed out. It's not a fantastically crucial change fortunately but it illuminates a process fault we need to care about

b) somehow a couple of methods get written out twice by the condense code but only in the 32bit system. Now *that* is the sort of thing to make you lose sleep.

c) worst of all, it exposed another major debugger problem, possibly related to the stuff recently discussed in the Fixing the infinite debugger chains? (was: Code simulation error (was Re: I broke the debugger?)) thread(s). A debugger that is buggered is sometihng I claim is a show stopper.

tim
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.