[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-ct.1136.mcz

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Feb 7 12:21:43 UTC 2020

Hi Levente,

for a start, my only objective was to increase the robustness. Do you think #ensure: is an appropriate approach for that? :)

> I don't think today's operating systems write changes to disk if you reopen the file.

Could you explain this? :) If the file is closed, the OS cannot know we want to reopen it after. So it must save (or reject) any changes and release the resource so that any other applications are enabled to access it. What's wrong with this understanding? And how can #sync (= flush) be slower than reopening, which requires flushing as well?

By the way, it appears that there are many, many calls to #forceChangesToDisk while loading/unloading a Monticello snapshot ... Should we maybe use something like #cacheDuring: for this operation?

Best,
Christoph