[squeak-dev] Letting the VM run multiple image formats (was: Condensing sources for a new release)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 19:33:31 UTC 2020

Tobias,

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 11:21 AM Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> > On 07.02.2020, at 20:07, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > Technically,
> > it would be hard to do this from a single compiled VM executable, but
> > fortunately that is not needed.
>
> It's possible, tho. RSqueak at one point happily read 64bit and 32bit
> images all the sameā€¦

Of course it's possible.  But it makes no sense to me.  One only needs to
convert once so why complicate the Vm including an extremely rarely used
action that is slooow?  If we include this facility soon enough people will
complain that launching a 32-bit image takes ages.  It is *much better
engineering* to require people to convert once using a separate tool than
complicating the existing production VM with a facility that is hardly ever
used.

--
best, Eliot