[squeak-dev] Installing Metacello baseline for Pharo in Squeak? (NeoJSON)

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Feb 10 20:05:45 UTC 2020

Hello list,

not sure if this is possible at all or if I am making a stupid error: I always had assumed that FileTree is a kind of mediator between Smalltalk code objects and file systems, so shouldn't it be possible to load code from a Pharo code structure (SomeClass.class.st files) into a Squeak code structure (SomeClass.class/someSelector.st) via Metacello?

Here is my concrete example: I would like to install NeoJSON<https://github.com/svenvc/NeoJSON> in Squeak, which apparently was written for Pharo. So I did this (in a fresh image)

Metacello new
  repository: 'github://svenvc/NeoJSON/repository';
  baseline: 'NeoJSON';
  load.

... but unfortunately, this gives me a MetacelloPackageSpecResolutionError:

[cid:d9b17b5d-9aba-4b2a-9538-2891eb67f93f]

So this might be a general question: Did I misunderstood the mediator concept of FileTree or is there some specific error in either Metacello or this repo's configuration?

Some explanations would be highly welcome!

(PS: Not sure if I chose the right list for this question. If this should have gone to the Beginners list instead, please tell me and I will resend.)

Best,

Christoph