[squeak-dev] Content licenses (was: The Inbox: Tools-ct.940.mcz)

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Feb 15 15:40:25 UTC 2020

Hm, probably the simplest solution would be a short disclaimer in the PreferenceWizardMorph ("By using this image, I confirm that I have accepted the Squeak contributing license agreement and that I will ensure that everyone to whom I share it did so too")?

> Maybe such metadata (pragma or not) should also include a symbolic indication of the license type, or copyright attributions (as a generalization of authorship) if required.

+1!

> Stepping down from resources to code again, we have nothing that guarantees that contributions via Inbox or Trunk are actually committed under an MIT license, have we? There is no agreement that I must accept prior to making a submission.

You do not even need to register in order to make a submission.
Hey, we don't even have any kind of protection against commit spam, do we? Some evil pharaoh could throw our whole inbox chaos by writing a simple DoS script -- hypothetically spoken, of course. No one dislikes Smalltalk :-)

Best,
Christoph
________________________________
These are very nice tool suggestions indeed. Maybe such metadata
(pragma or not) should also include a symbolic indication of the
license type, or copyright attributions (as a generalization of
authorship) if required.

Stepping down from resources to code again, we have nothing that
guarantees that contributions via Inbox or Trunk are actually
committed under an MIT license, have we? There is no agreement that I
must accept prior to making a submission.

I wondered the other day how to trace ownership and licenses for the
code base. Pragmas could also be used to indicate that, but it litters
methods. Ideally there would be some kind of usually invisible, but
accessible-if-necessary metadata for each piece of code.

Kind regards,
Jakob