[squeak-dev] Bouncing progress bars and hiding of notifiers

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Wed Jan 1 19:31:24 UTC 2020

Am Di., 31. Dez. 2019 um 22:45 Uhr schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> [...] Notifier/Informer/Confirmer gets hidden behind a progress bar with
> many active bars. I've seen this during loading large packages like
> Seaside, for example. The system is stuck waiting for you to do something
> with the notifier but it is sat behind a large progress bar and nobody has
> a clue what is happening.
>
> A very simple workaround for this is to slightly offset the default
> position used when no explicit position is provided for the progress bar.
> [...]
>
> I'd like to suggest setting the default position for the assorted
> notifier/confirmer/informer windows using the #aboveCenter but right now as
> I look at the code for opening assorted UserDialogBoxMorphs I find my brain
> melting. Some methods accept an argument for the position but ignore it,
> some test the position for nil and use a preferred position, some use the
> current Hand position in combination with the center point of a specified
> submorph... crikey.

More ideas:
- center of currently focused Morph (if not off-screen)
- center of currently focused tool window if the focused Morph is in a
window
- display progress unaffiliated to a UI element in the bottom right corner,
to emulate notifications or status bar visuals
- delegate the positioning to the RealEstateAgent

I find myself intermixing the positioning of modal dialog boxes and the
progress display. Both can be changed independently and can/should follow
different strategies, of course.