[squeak-dev] stepping in small panes

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 21:59:08 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 2:19 PM Thiede, Christoph <
Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>

> nice issue! I agree this would be an improvement in debugging scenarios.
>

> However, when I press Shift + ArrowRight to extend the selection, I would
> indeed expect that the cursor is scrolled into view.

Ah ha, THAT's why Marcel had that second call to #scrollToShow:
in PluggableTextMorph>>#scrollSelectionIntoView:...   Nice catch!  I've
just posted a fixed version, Morphic-cmm.1615.

> I think we would need to distinguish between "machinal selection" and
> "selection by user."

Good idea!

> And shouldn't we respect the selection orientation here (i.e., which of
> markIndex and pointIndex is larger - see TextEditor >> #exchange)?

I think so, but I'm not seeing where this is violated..  A little help
please?   :)

> But I would rather dislike a preference, imho we should make it dependent
> on the origin of the selection (machine vs. user) to achieve the best
> convenience.

Agree.

Thanks for the review,
  Chris