[squeak-dev] Debugger Through slow

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Jan 6 15:31:24 UTC 2020

> Can we speed up "Through" in any way? As the button is explained as "Step into a block", we could call #completeStep: internally if the selected message does not contain a block argument, for example.

Hmmm... sounds reasonable. Is it difficult to figure this out in the debugger via selected PC?

Best,
Marcel
Am 11.09.2019 13:55:20 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:
Hi all,

take the following snippet, debug-it and press "Through":
SqueakMessageCategoriesHelp asHelpTopic.

For me, it makes the debugger hang really long time, as apparently the whole code execution is simulated, searching for the current context (#stepToHome:). "Over", in contrast, is faster by far, calling #completeStep: instead.
Can we speed up "Through" in any way? As the button is explained as "Step into a block", we could call #completeStep: internally if the selected message does not contain a block argument, for example.

Best,
Christoph