[squeak-dev] WG: Your message to Beginners awaits moderator approval

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jan 17 17:48:44 UTC 2020

Hi John,

it is just annoying that I cannot send usual screenshots over the list. It's not the first time I collided with this limit when trying to send an on-topic message to the list.

I admit the request for 500 MB was way too high, but to make this discussion more fact-based, I made some tests:

A usual fullscreen screenshot on a high-DPI monitor, stored as PNG file, can cost up to 3 MB.

Sometimes we even have animated gifs on this list, Marcel sent one recently to demonstrate a bug, and I valuate this possibility, too. A small animated gif (500 x 400 px) can also cost up to 5 MB.

The mail that has been rejected yesterday contains a detailed step-by-step description with 7 screenshots (however, they only show each one window, so they are much smaller).

Don't we want such detailed content on the list? At the moment, I would need to upload the images to an external hoster, which is much more time-consuming for both writers and readers.

With respect to these values, I think that 10 or at least 5 MB could be a good compromise.

I believe in the phrase "one picture says more than thousand words". And even if it only said just as much, it would still be easier and faster to understand.
@Dave, I still do not understand what is your problem with graphics. Don't usual mail clients have a cache for attachment that can clear itself automatically? Or are you using a metered connection?

@Phil: Excessive use of memes or banners may indeed be a matter of flavor. But IMHO, first, the current limit cannot hinder anyone from sending this kind of content, and second, there are alternative and more effective ways of content moderation than attachment limits :)

Best,
Christoph