[squeak-dev] Squeak RISC-V ISA 32I Implementation

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 11:43:34 UTC 2020

> On 13.07.2020, at 09:01, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com>
> wrote:
>
> What kinds of applications or experiments do you have in mind for it?

My own ideas are not that well developed. Lately I've been particularly
inspired by the Act 1 papers and would like to take a stab at making an
"actor-based" system at the lowest levels -- ie, have the parts in hardware
behave "as if" they were actors and then build a system on top of that. I
have some early notions about how it would all come together, and I'm part
of a new research group that might take up the question at some point, but
it's early days yet and not our top priority.

I do think, however, that RISC-V could become the basis for new experiments
that rethink a lot of computing truisms. One of the reasons I discovered
Smalltalk in the first place is because I was asking myself why everything
is Unix. Obviously I don't think it has to be.

But really I was hoping that smarter / more experienced people would come
up with something, and I could just handle the grunt work!

Also, this is an excellent name :-)

Thanks!

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 4:03 AM Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Jecel should have a look at that!

Jecel was kind enough to help me in the Squeak slack with some issues I was
experiencing.

--
Eric