[squeak-dev] I/O in latest Squeak

Robert Withers robert.withers at pm.me
Mon Jul 13 14:02:01 UTC 2020

Hey y'all, there is a discussion thread on this article [1] about Smalltalk on a Pi. I commented pointing to Squeak on a Pi. Another commenter made this statement and I wish to respond.

> I used a Squeak variant to test hardware and prototype UI ideas. Ran like a champ on bare bones 68000, PPC & ARM boards.
>
> The only critique I have of using Squeak out of the box is it’s original VM used polling for I/O. I’m sure there are VMs by now that don’t have this problem. And message dispatch is a bit of a pig in terms of power usage. But again, a properly JITted Smalltalk VM should be fine. I would LOVE IT if Smalltalk or Self became popular for embedded work.

K, r

---

[1] Making Smalltalk On A Raspberry Pi - https://hackaday.com/2020/07/12/making-smalltalk-on-a-raspberry-pi/