[squeak-dev] squeak.sh appears unable to allow specifying a project/file

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Fri Jul 17 22:13:30 UTC 2020

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 at 11:48 pm, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> We briefly touched on this at the last board meeting and I just got egg on
> my face trying to demonstrate how easy it was to run a Squeak commandline
> job.
>
> The immediate problem is that the squeak.sh script included in the current
> linux-x64 package does not let us run things in the form -
> ./squeak.sh my.image my.st
> because sometihng is making the VM see 'my.image my.st' as a single (bad)
> filename.
> With the shell debugging turned on it seems the last line of the script
> exec "${VM}" "${IMAGE}"
> is resulting in the eventual command being
> exec /home/tim/Squeak/{blah=blah}/bin/squeak 'my.image my.st'
> If I manually run that line without the quotes around the image & st
> filenames it runs properly. I imagine the must be some magic tweak to the
> script that would solve this? Any suggestions anyone?
>
> The equivalent script included in the development build VMs is completely
> different, doing interesting things related to GDB and LLDPATH and ...
> other stuff I don't understand. That also appears to wrap the image & st
> files in ' '.
>
> The equivalent script in the all-in-one is again different and does some
> working out of which VM to run per the platform but doesn't look like it
> would handle the st file any better.
>
> The matter discussed at the SOB was that none of them actually do anything
> akin to a 'proper unix install', which is in itself a can of parasitic
> brain worms I'd prefer to leave to other people.
>
> tl;dr -
> a) what magic would make the final command not have ' ' wrapped around the
> image & st filenames?

Dropping the quotes around ${IMAGE} should help in your case. IIRC we added
those quotes to allow paths with spaces. Looks like the script needs to do
a better job separating image from image args and passing them in correctly.

> b) can we try to make a less confusing system of scripts and have it/them
> do better? Cue dtl to rant a little on this...

The AIO bundles come with multiple VMs for Linux (x86 and arm32), so the
script needs to do some additional work. It'd still be good to reuse as
much of the common logic as possible.

Fabio