[squeak-dev] Should I put my unofficial V3 versions of Squeak 5.2 and 5.3 on files.squeak.org?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 03:33:38 UTC 2020

Hi David,

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:04 AM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> A couple of years ago, I put a copy of a Squeak 5.2 image in V3 object
> memory format on the squeakvm.org server, and I linked to it from the
> project page at http://www.squeaksource.com/TrunkUpdateStreamV3. That link
> has gone dead, and I think I recall someone noticing it a recently.
>
> I still have the files, should I put them somewhere on files.squeak.org?
> I was thinking of putting them under the "various_images" folder:
>
>         files.squeak.org/various_images/squeak_V3_images/
>
> I also have a V3 image that is up to date with the Squeak 5.3 release,
> so I could put that on line as well.
>
> These images will run under an up-to-date interpreter VM or a Cog VM. They
> may be of interest to people doing VM work, benchmarking, or as a reference
> to understand the image-side differences between Spur and V3.

This is definitely useful.  My only concern is if this moves trunk towards
having code that supports both v3 and Spur.  I don't want the complexity or
the unnecessary overhead that entails.  So can we please keep a series of
patches to keep 5.x/6.x v3 going and not change trunk to accomodate?

> Dave

best, Eliot