[squeak-dev] Loading Seaside results in a number of Grease related code issues

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Fri Jul 31 14:24:41 UTC 2020

Hi Tim,

The repository has method metadata disabled:
https://github.com/SeasideSt/Grease/blob/master/repository/.filetree

Hence there is no timestamp information with the source and the Squeak
implementation currently seems to fall back to use the load timestamp.
Under these circumstances I think it would also be of no advantage to
clone and load with the Git Browser directly instead of first loading
via Metacello (which at least also pulls the dependencies, if any).

The Git Browser uses Monticello under the hood to read and write
packages, so the hunt for the variable amount of spaces needs to be
sought there, or rather in the FileTree and Cypress classes.

Cypress is slightly different from FileTree, but so far I did not have
problems treating them basically like the same thing. If I am not
mistaken, first Dale created FileTree, later at some conference or so
several people decided on a common format for inter-Smalltalk exchange
based on FileTree and called the result Cypress. Today we have Tonel
in the game, so I guess not many people will call for Cypress anymore.

TBehavior is a Pharo trait. Pharo refactored some parts of the basic
class library to use traits. My guess is that there are packages in
the repository that are not supposed to be loaded in Squeak (not a
surprise for something like Grease), but Squot does not know about
that and tries to load all the packages. You would currently have to
exclude the additions of the non-Squeak packages in the load/merge
dialog.

For the issue that you excluded the extension methods in the commit
dialog (with cmd-x), but some of them were committed nevertheless,
please file a bug report in for Squot on GitHub with the details and a
reference to the published commit (if it is public). Even if this
should be a peculiarity of the underlying Monticello, it is at least
unexpected to me.

https://github.com/hpi-swa/Squot/issues/

Kind regards,
Jakob