[squeak-dev] Survey: Cmd-s to close a dialog? (was: 5.3, focus follows mouse, image "save as...")

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jul 31 17:56:57 UTC 2020

> On 2020-07-31, at 8:24 AM, Tim Johnson <digit at sonic.net> wrote:
>
> If Cmd-s is a shortcut for "accept" (which I think it is, throughout most of Squeak), and in this dialog, "accept" (i.e. the "accept" button) saves the image with the new name and closes the dialog, then Cmd-s should perform the "accept" operation, which closes the dialog.
>
> I don't mean to defend this metaphor, but it seems consistent throughout most of Squeak...

I'm pretty much in agreement here; we use cmd-s all over the place as 'save/finish/accept' and it makes sense (to me) for a lot of dialogues. *but*

It would be a problem in dialogues with several input fields though; see for example the SqueakMap edit tool. It could be a problem for dialogues where we allow longer text that might have CRs. We do need to keep it possible to close/accept/cancel with just keyboard input as well.

Possibly it would also help to make the text field in such dialogues *not* have the stuff-changed-triangle; that might be a cue that you don't use cmd-s in it?

tim
Useful random insult:- She doesn't suffer from insanity; she enjoys every minute of it.