[squeak-dev] Object>>printOn: refined.

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:56:22 UTC 2020

Hi Marcel,

It seems there are a couple of different dimensions to consider.  You +1'd
the idea of sending #asOop from #printOn:.  I'm definitely a -1 on that,
because it would force everywhere that doesn't want id to override
printOn:, and they wouldn't even be able to call "super"!  And even if they
DO want id printing, overriding #asOop means they're forced to mix
concatenation with streaming, which isn't a good idea.  To stay with
streaming, you would at least want a,#printOopOn:, but that name is too
domain-specific.  (#asOop is already a common selector in persistence
frameworks, I think).

A generic, supplementary printing method that works on a Stream avoids
those issues, and can be either a no-op in Object, OR, Object>>#printOn:
could check if it #respondsTo: it, allowing the supplementary method to be
provided on Object by external frameworks without dirtying the Kernel
package.

Over the years, I've found having a separate, String-based "id"
representation (that is not always it's oop / oid), and not any of its
other attributes of its standard #printString, to be a useful extrusion of
behavior for disparate domain hierarchies to inherit rather than each
implement their own.

Best,
  Chris