[squeak-dev] MC Configurations feature request

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jun 7 01:49:21 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 03:06:44PM +0000, Robert Withers via Squeak-dev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Someone is working on Monticello configuration maps, I think it is David
> Lewis. David, would it be possible to add the feature that a config map
> can load another config map? I want to set ProCrypto-1-1-1 map to be
> loaded by PromisesLoader, loading remote promises.
>
> K, r

Hi Robert,

An MCConfiguration (aka MCM file) is a simple specification of a set of
Monticello package versions. It serves as a checkpoint specification in
an update stream, such as the Squeak trunk update stream. It is not intended
to support dependency management.

Metacello is designed to support more complex configuration specifications.
If a configuration cannot be clearly specified with an MCM configuration map,
then it is probably time to use Metacello to address the issue.

Dave