[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-dtl.1164.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jun 9 16:37:24 UTC 2020

The aspect of this commandline stuff that I'm keen on is being able to do the simple scripting stuff we had fun with wrt the fibonacci number benchmarks last year (or century? ) as easily as possible.

A part of that will involve making the VM not open a window until it is actually needed; which of course we have had discussions about many times.

Another part  - I think, based on recollections of looking into it back then - may involve re-ordering when image command line stuff gets treated. IIRC it was pretty much entirely based on the primarily EToys project loading methods which was very near the end of the entire image startup and probably meant far more init code than was really needed got run.  It would be nice to have a way to pass a doit to the image without having to put it in a file, for example. VW does that with a --doit "3+4" sort of expression. I'm sure serious unix aficionados would love to be able to do things like
squeak < "Benchmark new runFibonacciTest" > results.txt
as well.

tim
Yesterday was March 100th. March feels like the longest decade for centuries.