[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-dtl.1164.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jun 9 18:52:38 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 09:37:24AM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> The aspect of this commandline stuff that I'm keen on is being able to do the simple scripting stuff we had fun with wrt the fibonacci number benchmarks last year (or century? ) as easily as possible.
>
> A part of that will involve making the VM not open a window until it is actually needed; which of course we have had discussions about many times.
>
> Another part  - I think, based on recollections of looking into it back then - may involve re-ordering when image command line stuff gets treated. IIRC it was pretty much entirely based on the primarily EToys project loading methods which was very near the end of the entire image startup and probably meant far more init code than was really needed got run.  It would be nice to have a way to pass a doit to the image without having to put it in a file, for example. VW does that with a --doit "3+4" sort of expression. I'm sure serious unix aficionados would love to be able to do things like
> squeak < "Benchmark new runFibonacciTest" > results.txt
> as well.

Funny you should mention it, that's how I went down this rabbit hole
in the first place. I was thinking that it would be an obviously good
thing to do if we could evaluate a doIt or named script file immediately
on image startup, as opposed to waiting until all of the Etoys script
processing comes to life somewhere later in the startUp process.

But then I noticed that the command parameter passing was (still) all
messed up, so I figured it might be a good idea to fix that first.

I think that adding --doit "3+4" would be a great next step.

Dave