[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-dtl.1164.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jun 13 18:16:16 UTC 2020

Taking a quick look at the usages of getSystemAttribute: shows that we need some cleanup there, which ought to help make this doit etc work better.

There is a ridiculous assumption that the name of the document to load must be item 2, and that item 3 must be to do with Russian/Japanese language environment handling. Quite what one is supposed to do if no initial document is needed but Japanese is required...

If we could extend the parsing in DoItFIrst a little we ought to be able to work out whether there is a string intended as the name of a document and store it suitable. Modifying the SmalltalkImage>documentPath method suitably shouldn't be beyond our skills.

An interesting question is what to do about mixing these options. Obviously an `evaluate` will stop things at its end but  would it make any sense to allow

squeak vmOpt vmOp2 imagename -doit "Filename setWorkingDirectory:'/foo/bar'" documentToReadPathRelativeToCWD

with the expectation that it would start, set the cwd, then read the doc based on a path relative to the newly set cwd ?

Or even
{as above} -doit "do sometihng to the loaded document like maybe save under a new name"

And really, does anyone know what the expectation for those Russian/Japanese language environments are?
See JapaneseEnvironment class>>#inputInterpreterClass & RussianEnvironment class>>#inputInterpreterClass

tim
My Go this  amn keyboar  oesn't have any  's.