[squeak-dev] Installer ensureRecentMetacello is now broken

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jun 16 20:43:32 UTC 2020

After a deeply embarrassing attempt to demonstrate loading up an image with seaside/postgres/etc this morning I've been trying to track down the source of the error. Given that doing this just a couple of weeks ago worked perfectly, this is annoying.

The initial problem is that somebody has broken the stuff we get loaded by
` Installer ensureRecentMetacello.`

It now includes a bunch of code that relies upon Zinc, FileLocator and FileSystem. So far as I can tell the problems have been introduced by changed to -
BaselineOfMetaCello (tobe.98) {last working version is Esteban Lorenzo.97}
Metacello-MC (tobe.738) {last working version was Esteban Lorenzo.735}
Metacello-Platform (tobe.60) {last working version topa.45}

Clearly we have a problem here in that the changes were not actually tested adequately, probably the #ensureRecentMetacello method should actually use some form of certified set of packages, and anyone in reach of 'tobe' should give them a slap on the wrist and stop their chocolate privileges for a month.

I can't even see a way to fix this locally right now because the stupidity around git appears to prevent finding the last-working versions. Just why exactly is anyone enamoured of this?

Any solutions anyone can suggest here?

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam = I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.