[squeak-dev] The Inbox: WebClient-Core-ul.123.mcz

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Tue Jun 30 14:14:51 UTC 2020

On Jun 28, 2020, at 7:34 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>> A more specific/holistic evaluation of the server image after this
>> fix:
>>
>> (Process allSubInstances select: [:ea | ea name includesSubstring:
>> 'WebServer']) size    " => 2 "
>
> Do you have 2 WebServer instances as well?

No, just one.  I previously destroyed the default instance via
"WebServer reset".  It is my understanding that the default instance
is only used for testing and examples.

One of these two processes is this:

a Process in [] in DelayWaitTimeout>>wait
'WebServer''s listener process'

and the other is:

a Process in [] in BlockClosure>>newProcess
'[an IP address]:54090 - WebServer request handler'

>> 						ifTrue: [ receiver outerContext receiver class == WebServer ]
>> 						ifFalse: [ false ] ] ] ] " size => 4"
>>
>> WebServer allInstances first connections size   " => 3"
>
> That should be 0 unless there are debuggers open or there are actual
> connections to your server.
> Perhaps the Seaside error handler does something that doesn't let
> connections to be removed.

Interesting, and very likely.  I had indeed been doing some
development which brought up the error handler perhaps three times.

If I do the following:

Utilities closeAllDebuggers.  3 timesRepeat: [Smalltalk garbageCollect].
WebServer allInstances first connections do: [:ea | PointerFinder on:
ea]

Then all three look like this:

globals: Environment
declarations: IdentityDictionary
#WAServerManager -> WAServerManager class
default: WAValueHolder
contents: WAServerManager
adaptors: OrderedCollection
array: Array
1: WAWebServerAdaptor
server: WebServer
connections: IdentitySet
array: Array
494: Process

I tried using PointerFinder>>#on:except: to skip the WebServer's
connections array, but it did not seem to skip the connections
array.  :)

Could some of my problem been due to my having inspected WebServer's
connections collection without acquiring a mutex?  I see mention of
this in a comment in WebServer>>#connections ... but I also don't see
any methods in WebServer which seem to support safe public access to
the collection, so perhaps that remains TBD.

In any case, I have done the following:

WebServer allInstances first destroyConnections

And all of the stale connections are gone.  :)    I still have the
extra (second) request handler process hanging out though.

Thanks,
a Tim