[squeak-dev] self error: 'comment only' (was: The Trunk: Kernel-eem.1316.mcz)

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Mar 17 19:02:44 UTC 2020

Hi all,

of course, I *am* happy about these comments! I see your point not to move them into a far location where you cannot find it quickly. @tim, there are rough plans to make Squeak modular (at least I would appreciate this concern). This should also include the ability to unload help packages, which would be okay if you're not interested to learn how a Transcript works, but it is a fair point that the description of the system should be stored side-by-side to its implementation.

However, we are talking basically about two comments only at the moment. Couldn't we just move the contents of #whatIsAPrimitive and #howToModifyPrimitives into #primitiveFailed:? Then we would not have these useless method stubs on class side, and even better, the chance for any Squeak Surfers to come across this stuff will be increased. I claim that almost every reader of this documentation comes from any primitive method that states "See Object documentation whatIsAPrimitive." Via debugging/iMplementors browsing, much more people will read any stuff that is located along the caller stack.

Best,

Christoph