[squeak-dev] Squeak 6502 images on Mac Catalina

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 28 18:45:11 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 10:03:40AM +0530, K K Subbu wrote:
> On 27/03/20 11:42 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 10:19:57PM +0530, K K Subbu wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>With Apple dropping support for 32-bit apps in Catalina, what is the
> >>recommended way to work with Squeak 6502 images? The mac builds in
> >>files.squeak.org/3.8 will not work anymore.
> >
> >The interpreter VM is a 64 bit app running 32 bit images, so no
> >issues with 32-bit support. However, I expect that there will be
> >problems compiling on the newer llvm toolset, so I don't know if
> >a freshly compiled VM will work on Catalina.
>
> Is there a pre-built 64b VM on Mac OS that could be made available on
> files.squeak.org or on squeakvm.org? It would benefit many students who
> use Macs to study VMMaker. Cog+ versions are too complex for beginner
> students.

No, there is no pre-built VM available. There have been many changes
to the Quartz display (though X11 should still work). And OS X is now
using llvm compiler tools, which will probably require some development
work. No one is working on this as far as I know.

> The current workaround is to run it in Ubuntu virtual PC on a Mac, but
> it shouldn't be this hard.

This is probably the best approach for now.

Dave