[squeak-dev] #doWhileTrue: (was: The Trunk: System-nice.1149.mcz)

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Mar 30 17:58:12 UTC 2020

Hi Nicolas,

> There is no other sender of doWhileFalse: doWhileTrue: and my advice would be to deprecate them. YAGNI.

So my image actually contains around two dozen senders of #doWhileTrue: and #doWhileFalse: (Squot, Pheno and some of my own code). As mentioned somewhere else in the past, I actually like them and find them very useful.

In my opinion, many senders of #whileTrue and #whileFalse should be refactored to use #doWhileTrue:/#doWhileFalse:. Here is a random example:

[newPlace := self getNewPlace.
dir := ServerFile new fullPath: newPlace.
(dir includesKey: dir fileName)] whileTrue.

I find that's ugly and counter-intuitive! I would rewrite this in the following way:

[newPlace := self getNewPlace.
dir := ServerFile new fullPath: newPlace]
    doWhileTrue: [dir includesKey: dir fileName].

The latter just reads easier. blockReturns in multi-statement blocks are not really intuitive.
In the first version, when scanning the method quickly, I read "okay, something with places and directories is done, while true ...," I wonder "what has to be true?" and have to look back to the end of the block and find the beginning of the last statement.
But in the second version, I read "okay, something with places and directories is done, while that directory matches this specific condition." This version directly draws my attention to the important condition.

Happy to hear your counterarguments :-)

Best,
Christoph